Friday 19 February 2010

The intersubjective in Buber and Lonergan

I am reading through Anthony Sumer's dissertation on Buber. It strikes me that Lonergan adopted the language of the I-Thou when he talked about primordial intersubjectivity, or of the subject-subject relation, which he contrasted with the subject-object relation. Of course, Lonergan's nuances will be different; he would not go along with Buber's sometime Kantian basis, and with Buber's probably Kantian understanding of object as Gegen-stand...

I think Lonergan's distinction between experiential and explanatory conjugates is also relevant here. The intersubjective would be in the sphere of the experiential - whether it is interhuman, or human-divine (religious experience). But, in Lonergan's thinking, this does not invalidate the move to the explanatory; and hence the place of doctrines, dogmas, etc. which Lonergan places clearly, not on the level of experience, but on the level of judgment. Buber, expectedly, would not like to have much to do with dogma.

I would need to get back to my Rome 2001 paper on Religious Experience and Expression and revisit these topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment